School Grants Scheme
Grants of up to £600 for projects, events and activities that promote a greater interest in physics and engineering in young people.
The Scheme is run jointly by the Institute of Physics, Institution of Engineering & Technology and the Science & Technology Facilities Council.
We particularly encourage applications for projects that look at:
- particle physics
- space and nuclear physics
- information and communications
- design and promotion
- built environment
Grants can be used to cover the following costs associated with your project:
- materials and resources
- marketing and publicity
- other purposes deemed appropriate by the judges
- supply cover (in certain circumstances)
We welcome proposals that demonstrate a high level of cost effectiveness.
Who can apply
Schools, colleges or home school groups based in the UK and Ireland.
How much you can apply for
- You can apply for up to £600. We will not normally fund projects if our contribution is a small proportion of your project costs.
- If you are applying for a grant for a bought-in activity or show, your application will be stronger if you integrate those activities with a wider project.
- You must submit your application yourself and not via a third party provider.
- Your application must be unique and applicable to your school, college or home school group. We will not accept cloned or copied applications.
- Your application must be for costs associated with a new project. We will not fund costs for sustaining an existing project or a repeat application.
- Your project must directly involve pupils. We will not fund activities such as teacher CPD.
- Your project must add value over and above basic curriculum requirements. We will not fund equipment or materials needed for lessons to deliver the curriculum.
- If you have applied for and received a grant within the last three years, you will need to complete and return an evaluation form (PDF, 615KB) alongside your application.
How to apply
Applications for the School Grants Scheme are made via the IOP awards platform.
Allow up to five weeks from the closing date for a decision.
Deadlines for applications
- 1 February (for projects taking place in the following summer term)
- 1 June (for projects taking place in the following autumn term)
- 1 November (for projects taking place in the following spring term)