STEM Ambassadors can help support and enhance your curriculum and activities in many ways and each STEM Ambassador brings their own unique blend of knowledge and expertise to the session.
Typical activities include Hands-on Workshops, Subject Talks, Assemblies, Careers Events, Speed Dating, CV workshops, Mock interviews and Employability Skills. We are keen to make sure that STEM Ambassadors provide as much impact as possible therefore it is important to think about how best to use them in your school.
Once you have identified where STEM Ambassadors can be of most help and have maximum impact on either the young people or the teachers in your school then you need to click on the link below to issue a request. We ask that you allow us at least 4-6 weeks to give us the best chance to find you a STEM Ambassador for your event.
- In the initial stage please login to the site: www.stem.org.uk Creating an account is free if you don’t have one already and you will need to have a teacher account.
- To request a STEM Ambassador, click on ‘Activities’ on the left hand side, and then ‘Add Activity’. This will bring up a form to enter all details of your event.
- Once the form is completed, click on ‘Add this Activity’ at the bottom of the page and this will allow STEM Ambassadors to view and volunteer for the event.
Click here to access support on how to write an effective STEM Ambassador request.
Impact on Teachers and Schools
If you’re looking for STEM resources then there are thousands out there for you to choose from. Below are some of the best sites we’ve found for primary and secondary teachers.
- STEM Learning - suitable for both primary and secondary teachers. All resources are fully tried and tested.
- Maths Hub - local hubs set up to help you network and provide training for maths teachers and anyone supporting maths in schools.
- Computing at Schools Hub - local hubs set up to help you network and provide training for computing teachers and anyone supporting computing in schools.
- Global Experiment - free simple experiments that you can do in your school. Covering science plus other areas of STEM they are all fully resourced for you to download. They also give you the option to download results from schools in other countries to compare and contrast with yours.
- Year of Engineer - the site contains ideas and resources to use in your school to inspire your students in engineering.
- CREST Awards - CREST Awards scheme is run by the British Science Association and is their programme for young people. It is the only nationally recognised accreditation scheme for STEM project work (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects, providing science enrichment activities to inspire and engage 5-to-19-year olds. There are projects on hundreds of topics and cover KS1-KS5. All resources are provided on the site free of charge, however there is a charge for submitting work for official accreditation.
For Primary Teachers
- Explorify is free to use and helps you to get discussions going in the classroom and helps children to explain their answers.
- Reachout CPD is also free to use. CPD on all of the science topics right across KS2 including common misconceptions and ideas for practical activities in the classroom.
- Association for Science Education (ASE) is the professional institution for science teachers. Most of their content is free to use, however some parts do require you to be a member of the ASE. It is especially good for science leaders as it includes information on assessment and how to link to other curriculum areas.
- Learn Chemistry Free resources on all areas of science. The Royal Society of Chemistry have produced mind maps of the history topics mapped against the science curriculum so you can fully integrate science into your topic work as well as much more including hundreds of experiment ideas and videos to download.
Links to Science Learning Partnership
Science Learning Partnerships (SLPs) combine local expertise in teaching and learning in science, facilitating CPD, and providing school-to-school support.
- North Tyneside Learning Trust - Northumberland, Tyne and Wear
- Carmel College - Durham and Tees Valley
We are recruiting
We re currently recruiting for an Enrichment Partnership Coordinator - Nuffield Research Placements, to join our dedicated STEM team